The Pallet Design System© is based on engineering fundamentals and matrix structural analysis techniques. It is the result of many years of laboratory research and field-testing. NWPCA and the William H. Sardo, Jr. Pallet & Container Research Lab have invested an enormous amount of time and resources to create and enhance this outstanding design and marketing tool.
PDS© simulates pallet strength, stiffness and life cycle analysis based on user-specified descriptions of the material-handling environment. This system can be used to estimate the performance level of a particular pallet design or assist in creating a new design to meet a precise performance level. PDS© has been in use since 1984 and is currently used by pallet manufacturers and recyclers in 15 countries.
PDS© can assist in the design of many kinds of pallets:
- Two through Five Stringer
- 2-way or partial 4-way; 4,6 and 9-block
- Post-style pallets of any size
- Single or double-face
- From commonly used wood species-hardwoods, softwoods and mixtures
- Single- or double-winged
- Single or double cantilever
- Flush reversible or non-reversible
- Structural wood composite panels
- With a full range of parts dimensions
- Those made with commonly used fasteners – nails and staples
- Rack and stacked storage
- Handled with forklifts, floor jacks and slings
- To support fully or partially distributed loads; flexible or rigid case goods, bagged goods or block-type loads Single or multiple concentrated loads – barrels, drums, steel coils
What PDS© can do for your customers:
- Enhance pallet performance.
- Enhance product protection.
- Improve safety for workers throughout the supply chain.
- Reduce material handling costs.
- Help them recognize your company as a unit load consultant and partner.
“When you use PDS©, you have over 20 years of research and development supporting your pallet.” Marshall White, Ph.D., Director William H. Sardo, Jr. Pallet & Container Testing Laboratory
NWPCA is pleased to announce extraordinary innovations to what is already recognized as the wood packaging industry’s leading marketing and design tool. PDS© has a new version, 3.35, with features that will expand your ability to serve your customers and attract new ones:
- Custom load types – users can select different custom load types such as boxes, bulk boxes, bags, bulk bags, pails and blocks for better wood pallet designs and more accurate performance predictions.
- Box stacking pattern – single layer, column stacked and interlocked stacked boxes can be selected for better design and more accurate analyses.
- Load stabilizer – the effects of stretch or shrink wrap and horizontal and vertical banding on load flexibility have been incorporated. Vertical banding can either be perpendicular or parallel to pallet length.
- Load-bridging response – long-term creep tests were incorporated in this version to quantify load-bridging response over time.
- Copyright statement – new copyright language has been added to PDS© output to provide more legal protection to all leaseholders.
- Watermark – a translucent mark with company name and license number can now be printed onto all PDS© output.
- A simplified grading specification for pallet components – the new grading system will replace the current 18 grades in PDS©. The objective is to have only one set of pallet component grade that is independent of species and geographical region.